Friday, March 15, 2013

Natural Deodorants {FabHealthFriday}

 
 
 
Hola amigos! After a much delayed gap in posting for FabHealthFriday.....I have returned. *muahahah*
 
After receiving a question about what natural deodorants I used/recommended, I 
decided to focus on that for today's post.
 
In case you may not have thought of this before, most deodorants available in your grocery store or shopping center are terribly bad for you. What are some of the killer ingredients found in the leading deodorant brands these days? For starters, aluminum and parabens.
 
"Aluminum is the most abundant metal and the third most abundant element, after oxygen and silicon, in the earth's crust. It is widely distributed and constitutes approximately 8 percent of the earth's surface layer. However, aluminum is a very reactive element and is never found as the free metal in nature. It is found combined with other elements, most commonly with oxygen, silicon, and fluorine. These "chemical compounds" are commonly found in soil, minerals (e.g., sapphires, rubies, turquoise), rocks (especially igneous rocks), and clays. These are the natural forms of aluminum, rather than the silvery metal. The metal is obtained from aluminum-containing minerals, primarily bauxite. Small amounts of aluminum are even found in water in dissolved or ionic form. Ions are atoms, collections of atoms, or molecules possessing either a positive or a negative electric charge. The most commonly found ionic forms of aluminum are complexes formed with hydroxy (hydrogen attached to oxygen) ions."  (Source)
 
Sooo, doesn't sound horrible, right? Well, just because aluminum may be a natural compound found here on earth doesn't mean it's good for us humans.
 
Aluminum was first recognized as a human neurotoxin in 1886, before being used as an antiperspirant. A neurotoxin is a substance that causes damage to nerves or nerve tissue.
 
Post-mortem analysis of Alzheimer’s infected brains has shown increased levels of aluminum compared to people that did not die from Alzheimer’s.
 
Breast cancer in women has been linked to the aluminum and parabens found in a lot of deodorants.
 
I could go on about aluminum but then I wouldn't have enough time to tell you about the actual natural deodorants which was after all the point of today's post. If you want to learn more about aluminum, google "health effects of aluminum." It's always best to do your own research. 
 
So. Moving on.
 
I don't know about you, but I tend to perspire VERY easily. I also tend to get very stinky very fast, even with deodorant on. This is the straight up truth concerning my under arms. :P
 
I've always envied the girls who didn't have to check every 20 minutes to see if they smelled or not. But envying doesn't get anything done, does it?
 
So,I have tried a longgg list of different natural deodorants. Since I need something with a lot of gumption and heavy strength/durability, it hasn't been easy to find the right product which actually works for me.
 
Here are a few natural deodorants I have used and recommend.
 
Tom's of Maine: I usually need to get a scented one because unscented just doesn't seem to be strong enough for me personally. These are very gentle on the skin and the scents aren't too horrible smelling. My favorites are lavender, and apricot.
 
Personally, I have to REALLY slather this on for it to work. But it does work. And that's all that matters. You can find Tom's deodorants at Wal-mart.
 
 
Jason: I think this one is a little more expensive than Tom's but it is my favorite at the moment. Like with Tom's, I have to really slather it on, but it works decently and I don't mind the smell. Actually I think I like the smell better than Tom's. My favorite scent of Jason's is Aloe Vera. You can find this line in Sweetbay supermarkets and probably at the health food store too.
 
 
 
Crystal: Now, while I don't personally recommend this one if you are like me and need something heavy duty, I thought I'd mention it for you lucky ladies who may be able to get off with something more mild. Crystal deodorants are roll on, and a clear liquid. The main negative I think, besides the fact it doesn't work for me, is how messy it can be. It makes your underarms feel VERY wet. I doubt most people like this kind of feeling, I certainly don't!
 
You can find Crystals at Wal-mart if you want to give them a try.
 
 
Go the home-made route! At one point, I got reallyyyyy desperate and looked up how to make your own natural deodorant, online. I found a simple recipe which only required baking soda and eucalyptus oil, as I recall. It was MESSSSSSSY. Messy, messy, messy. It kinda sorta worked, but the main problem was not getting white powder all over myself and my surroundings, in the process.
Also, it didn't keep very well and got kinda...icky, after a week or so.
 
This was just my personal experience with making home-made deodorants, I know there are other recipes out there which might work better. I just detest powder deodorants in general.
 
Do you have a favorite natural deodorant? Let me know in the comments!

 
Happy Friday y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment