Monday, January 5, 2015

You Are An Adventure Story {hello 2015}

Every year I set goals. It might be one of the few 'normal' things I do.
Last year, I may not have compiled a list, but I still set the bar high, and aimed probably a bit too ambitiously. As I always do.
 
My goal was to be radiant.
 
Now, since that's a characteristic, not something you can just 'scratch off the list', it's hard to judge if I really reached where I wanted to be. I mean, how do you even judge such a thing as radiance? It's certainly not something you can judge of yourself. You may observe it in others, but, to try and say it is a thing you possess of your own - well, I find that a bit ostentatious a thought.
 
I hope I was radiant, at least, most of the time. I know there were many times when I failed miserably.
 
Radiance is still one of my favorite words, though. And I've determined that it is worthy of a lifelong pursuit.
 
 
But this, year, for my productivity's sake, I am making a list of things I want to do and learn.
Lists can be quite useful, you know. And it /is/ fun to scratch stuff off as you go, am I right?

 
Yes, this is a random collection of things from Pinterest, just because.  They are positive, encouraging things that spoke to me. Things that I want to be reflections of myself.
 
I want to be an eternal optimist. The kind of person that is never daunted by the negative in the world, even though I acknowledge it is there because that's what any smart person would do. Always looking on the bright side. Always the one bearing sunshine and smiles. Or at least, an encouraging word.
 
I want to be constantly cheerful. Even in circumstances where I don't feel like it. This is a hard one.

 
Ever since I saw this ^^ one, I fell in love with it. What a wonderful viewpoint! It sounds so beautiful, too. Daughter of the Star Breather.
 
The most important thing I want to do this year is to represent the Star Breather, AKA my Heavenly Father and Creator of the Universe the best I can. I want to use what He has given me to bless others and point them to Him.
 
I want to have a desperation for His closeness. A thirst that never is quenched, a fire that never dies, and a striving which never relents. I want to flee the pits of lukewarm spirituality, and avoid fence-sitting like the plague.
 
I want to burn with passion for Jesus. Because anything less than that isn't adequate. God doesn't want half-interested followers, or somnolent sleepers. He needs soldiers and DOERS OF HIS WORD. I want more than anything to be just that.
 
I want my relationship with Christ to deepen so much more than it ever has before.

 
This year, I will praise and thank my Maker every chance I can get.
 
 
This year, I will purpose to learn as many new things possible.

 
In 2015, I will learn to control my words, and to speak with purpose. I will think before I speak, and my lips shall only utter positive, uplifting thoughts.

 
I will overcome myself. I won't succumb to the temptation waging war within me. My emotions will not drag me down, and I will not accept just being 'bipolar' as my fate. That might be my 'label', but I am not going to allow it power over my life. I refuse to give it room to grow and thrive.
 
I cherish the words of 2 Timothy 1:7.
"For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a SOUND MIND."
 
A SOUND MIND. My mind is sound! I don't have to accept being mentally and emotionally unstable. Christ has given me power, and I have all the authority in the universe to use it.
 
So, here's my list.
 
1. Spend more time in the Word, prayer and praise.
2. Take evangelism more seriously!
3. Memorize five verses a month.
4. Spend more time with my family, doing things they want to do.
5. Finish my ISSA certification.
6. Get The Rebels of Florida published!
7. Make progress with Radicals - possibly begin filming later in the year.
8. Take piano studies way more seriously.
9. Run in the Rugged Maniac race.
10. Go on a missions' trip somewhere.
11. Be able to do 5 full chin-ups.
12. Write more in my journal.
13. Spend less time on social media.
14. Read Les Miserables.
15. Read the LOTR trilogy.
16. Spend more time gardening.
17. Learn and master the Lindy Hop, East Coast & West Coast Swing, Charleston, Foxtrot, Polka, Samba/Salsa, Jitterbug and St. Louis Shag.
 
So that's all the big stuff. I'm sure other things will come along too. Hopefully this isn't too ambitious!
 
I just want to have things to work towards ya know? Never let the grass grow under my feet. Stagnancy kills, literally. The human body was made for movement, just as the soul was created for growth and change. We are creatures of purpose, and our purpose is to not remain in one stage of development all our lives. We should be constantly growing, improving ourselves. This is my goal, anyway.
 
What about y'all? Where are you going in your spiritual life? What are you aiming to accomplish this year?
 
The book of 2015 has begun. Nobody knows what genre this book belongs to, yet. Whether it's thriller, romance, suspense or comedy - or even a hodgepodge of everything, it doesn't matter. The genre doesn't dictate the success - or quality - of the story.
 
You have 360 days to craft your tale. Make them count. Make them memorable.
So what are you going to fill those pages with?

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, your posts are just always so good! I would so love to publish a book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was wonderful to read and very inspiring.Thank you very much. I wish you the best of luck with your resolutions!

    I found myself thinking of Starfield's song "Rediscover You" when I was reading this. :)

    -BrightWatcher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BrightWatcher! I'm glad you were inspired! And, I love Starfield! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Great post. ^ ^ Lots of great goals. I pinned a ton of those pictures and the one about being the Daughter of the Star Breather gave me a big idea for one of my books. Thank you for that! Some of my goals for this year is to write and draw more, and to grow closer to God. I'd like to finish reading the whole Old Testament since I haven't yet. ^ ^'

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete